Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What's Cooking: Nothing



Our oven has been broken for a while now (we're waiting on a part Flannel Man ordered online) and so I've been trying to be creative with meals. I've found that you can only do so much with a slow cooker. But there's an upside, having a busted oven has helped me rediscover one of my favorite dinners: Hors d'œuvre.

When I was growing up my family would have Saturday night picnics in our living room, picnic blanket and all, and I loved that! We would have cheese, crackers, carrot sticks, etc. Sometimes they were fancier than others, but the best part was sitting on the blanket feeling like we were having a party.

Having a meal made up of hors d'œuvres also reminds me of treks around Europe. To save money we would usually make at least one meal out of a day a trip to the grocery store and a picnic in the park. A baguette, piece of fruit and cheese (sometimes a bottle of wine or a beer) and you're set!

I still love Hors d'œuvre nights at home. There's no cooking involved and it involves all my favorite foods; cheeses, fresh fruit and veggies, etc. Last nights highlights included sliced avocado, pine nuts and a delicious Port Salut cheese. So get out a blanket and make your own picnic with your roommate/husband/kids for a dinner experience that's a bit different.

Photo by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment