Thursday, February 18, 2010

Paint your own pottery


(After painting, before being fired)


I always thought the concept of going to a little shop and painting pottery that someone else made seemed silly. I finally went and did it with a friend one time and it was a lot of fun. It's not really about the piece you're painting, it's more about trying something different and spending time with a friend.


You pick a piece of green ware (perfectly white pottery that's already been fired in a kiln) and paint with whatever glaze you choose. Then you leave the piece, they fire it in the kiln again and voila! This is the little milk bottle I painted. It's nothing crazy, but it makes a good little vase and it reminds me of a fun afternoon with a friend.


(At home, after being fired)

p.s. I've heard of people holding a bachelorette party or bridal shower at a pottery-painting place. All the women paint one tile and then the bride gets to keep them at the end. Wouldn't it be fun to have a dozen diverse tiles as the backsplash in your kitchen that remind you of your closet friends. I love that idea.

Photos by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment