Thursday, February 11, 2010

Making Natural Deodorant




I have entered into the land of homemade deodorant. There's no milk & honey here. But the contents did come straight out of the kitchen. Just plain 'ol coconut oil (health store/I've been told Walmart carries this), baking soda, and cornstarch. (So, you know you could eat it if you wanted to.)
Truly, I'm not a huge fan of trying new things. Going to the store. Cruising the deodorant aisle. Dropping one into my cart will always sound very appealing.
But, seriously there are like 50 to choose from! How do I know which one is better for my body? Also, 'Organic' ones cost more than I would like to pay something to stop my stink. And even then they will still contain questionable ingredients.
This one has three, four if you use essential oils. Costs are minimal and will last a long time.
I figured it was worth a shot.
Man, what a messy shot it was! :)
I'm sure that I went about this in the hardest way possible. But I had to mix it all together with my hands, because my coconut oil was still very much in solid form. Which I must say made for quite the clean up!
The process however is a simple one to follow. I used the recipe found here.
1/4 Cup Baking Soda ( I use this to stop my diaper pail from smelling. I think it's qualified for armpits. )
1/4 Cup Cornstarch (thickening agent to hold it all together)
8 Tbs of Coconut Oil (very good for skin- lotion too)
Tea Tree Essential Oil-opt. ( a natural anti-bacterial agent)
I used an empty bottle and went to town. Packing it all the way into the bottom and then smoothing over the top. Because I had touched the ingredients so much at this point it needed to solidify again.
I put it into the fridge and have been letting it cool.

I even had some leftovers. (On top of my delivery of mangoes?!?)

My main concerns are:

  • Will I always have to keep it in my fridge? Is my bathroom too warm and it will melt?
  • It might not work.
  • It could get on my clothes and make stains.

Whether this works or not I'm glad I took the time to ask "why".

Have more questions? Check out this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment