Monday, February 15, 2010

What's Cooking: Mushrooms and Steak


(Steaks on the grill)


I finally feel like I'm getting to the point with cooking where I can improvise a little bit. I do mean a LITTLE bit, because I'm definitely not confident enough to toss whatever into a pan and hope it works, but I can substitute one or two ingredient.


(Mushroom sauce)


The other night Flannel Man and I had two steaks and not much else. So after a quick look in the fridge we decided to work with what we had. He grilled the steaks on our grill (outside in 20 degree weather) and I made a sauce in the kitchen. It consisted of mushrooms, butter, garlic and a few other things. It tasted great! It's much too rich for a weekly meal, but for a special occasion (though this wasn't one) it would be perfect.


(The final product with some instant mashed potatoes)



I made instant mashed potatoes to go with the steak. Baby steps people, I can barely make the sauce right. Maybe one day I'll be whipping up mashed potatoes from scratch, but for now I'm happy with instant.


Photos by moi.


No comments:

Post a Comment