Friday, February 26, 2010

DIY: Record Bowls


(A finished bowl, shown from above)


I love finding ways to make old things useful in a new way (which is one of the reasons I love Real Simple so much). One of my favorite examples of this is record bowls. You can find cheap records at Goodwill and after that all you need is an oven and a bowl.


You can find a step-by-step tutorial here.



(A finished bowl filled with corks)


When making the bowls I often shape them multiple times. If I don't like the first shape I come up with I just put it back in the oven and try again. It cools into a solid shape quickly, so you have to work fast.


These bowls make great gifts for music lovers. In the past I've searched high and low to find records by people's favorite artists in order to make the gift more personal.


Photos by moi.


No comments:

Post a Comment