Thursday, January 7, 2010

DIY: Emergency Car Kit



As those of us in the Midwest know, the roads get bad in the winter. You don't want to be stuck on the side of the road, in freezing weather, completely unprepared.


So as a Christmas present for Flannel Man I made an emergency car kit. I actually made one for myself too.


I used one of the many milk crates I already had (I pick them up at yard sales whenever I see them) and filled it with a few items that would be helpful to have in a pinch.


The kit includes...


-Plastic gas can

-Paper towels

-Kitty Litter in a tupperware container

-A bungee cord

-A blanket

-A sweatshirt

-Granola bars

-Duct tape


Most of the items are self-explainatory. The duct tape and bungee cord can be used as a short term fix for a minor accident.


The kitty litter is used to provide traction when you are stuck in an icy ditch. Just pour some kitty litter under your wheels to prevent them from spinning on the icy.


The blanket and sweatshirt are to provide warmth if you're stuck on your own for awhile. To save on space, tightly roll them together and wrap the bungee cord around them.


Add any other items that you think would be beneficial in a tight spot. A flashlight or head lamp would be a good idea. Also, make sure you have a set of jumper cables in your car.


In my kit I have a car jump starter. It's a one time use item that charges your battery via your cigarette lighter. I would only use this if I was in the middle of nowhere and couldn't get another person to jump my car.


I also added a book to mine, because if I'm stuck on the side of the road I know that's what I'm really going to want.


Photos by moi.


No comments:

Post a Comment