Monday, July 26, 2010

Heirlooms



I've never been a big fan of flowery dish patterns, but this one is special to me. Growing up, these dishes were displayed on the hutch in our dining room. Later in life I learned the story of where they came from.

Both my Dad's grandma and my Mom's grandma had a complete set of the exact same dishes. My Mom grew up in Indiana, while my Dad was born in California and raised mainly in Massachusetts. Though they were states apart, somehow they bought the same brand and same pattern. Both of my great-grandmothers passed their dishes down to our family so that my only sister and I could each have a set.

Recently my sister and I unwrapped the dishes from their weathered boxes. Seeing each delicate teacup and serving platter brought back so many memories. Even though neither of us are "fancy china" kind of girls, the dishes mean the world to us because they hold so much family history.

Photo by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment