Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Upside Down Tomato Plants



I've been seeing a lot of tomato planters that hang the vines upside down recently. They make the whole process so simple because you don't have to worry about slugs and other such creatures destroying the fruit of your labor before you can get to it. Flannel Man and I got the version seen above, which allows you to plant and herb garden on the top portion of the planter.


After putting it together I added 4 tomato plants and top soil. The bottom section is filled with sand to give it a solid base. It's made of a similar material as a garbage can, which isn't pretty, but it is durable.


We put the planter just outside of our back door, by our porch. In the herb garden I planted cilantro, green onions, dill and thyme. Those are a few of the spices we use the most while cooking. I also planted an aloe plant in the center. I'm constantly burning myself on hot pans and oven racks and keeping an aloe plant nearby has become a necessity.

Photos by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment