Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wedding DIY: Embroidery


(An embroidery starter kit and the handkerchiefs)

This is the first in a series of posts on Wedding DIY. These do-it-yourself projects are all things I decided to create for my own wedding in October 2009.


This particular project was to embroider two handkerchiefs with a special message. One was a note to my husband-to-be (Flannel Man) and the other was for my Dad. Having never embroidered anything before I wasn't completely sure where to start. I decided to get a starter embroidery kit and chose this one, which I found on sale somewhere.


(The supplies and the blue yarn I picked)

I purchased the yarn and handkerchiefs I wanted and decided what I wanted to embroider. I wrote out a message to Flannel Man and used a quote about family for my Dad's. After reading the kit's manual I wrote the quotes on the handkerchiefs lightly with a pencil to make sure they would fit. I kept the letters in a block form to make it easier. Then I popped in a movie and started to stitch.


I gave both handkerchiefs to the guys during the rehearsal dinner and they carried them in their pockets on my wedding day. The end product was nothing perfect, but they were definitely readable and the guys seemed to appreciate them. I loved knowing that Flannel Man had that special note from me in his pocket that no one else knew about.


(My groom's handkerchief)

If you have a friend or family member who is getting married, you could always offer to do or at least help them with a DIY project of their choosing. The same is true for bridal showers, baby showers, bachelorette parties, birthday parties, etc. I love seeing the tiny details that others have taken time to create that make events unique.


I'd like to add that for your own wedding, you shouldn't take on any more DIY projects than you can handle. These projects should be fun, not stressful. I loved doing them because it was an excuse to learn something new and challenge myself. When you're planning a wedding you don't need to add more things to your to do list. So only take on things that are important to you. In the end the crucial thing is to be able to relax and enjoy the day.


Photos by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment