Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Make Do or Do Without



At what age are you officially suppose to grow up and get real furniture? I’ve been wondering about that lately when I look at our mismatched dining chairs and hand-me-down green table. Don’t get me wrong, I love these pieces, but I’m wondering how long it’s acceptable to scavenge for chairs when we have guests over. Last time we had a dinner party we used a bench as supplemental seating.


We have bookcases from rummage sales, dressers from friends who moved cross-country, etc. The only furniture we have bought at a store is our bed and a couch. Both of those items were from massive sales at Value City furniture and we saved up for awhile before getting them.


Flannel Man and I tend to go off the assumption that if we can’t get it at a yard sale or buy it used from friends and family, then we probably don’t need it. Once we have a bigger family we’ll probably invest in a table with matching chairs (and by invest I mean find it on Craig’s List), but until then I’ll stick with the old saying “use it up, wear it out, make do or do without.”


Photo by moi.


No comments:

Post a Comment