Friday, September 24, 2010

What's Cooking: Baked Acorn Squash



My sister gave me some yellow acorn squash the other day and I had no idea how to cook it. So yay for google and millions of recipes at your fingertips. Here's the one I used...

BAKED ACORN SQUASH

Yield: 4 servings.


2 med. acorn squash

2 to 4 tbsp. butter

Salt

2 to 4 tbsp. brown sugar


1. Wash the acorn squash well and cut in half, lengthwise.


2. Remove seeds.


3. Place the half squash cut side down in pan. Pour boiling water to 1/4 inch depth. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Turn cut-side up; sprinkle with butter, salt and brown sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until tender.



I laid the halved squash in the pan and after 30 minutes in the oven I turned it and added the rest of the ingredients.


The butter and brown sugar melted beautifully. After a total of 1 hour in the oven, the squash was very tender. The hardest part was scrapping it out of the shell without burning myself or ripping the shell apart.


It created a mashed potato-like mush that tasted pretty good. In the end I'd say I'm glad I tried it, but it was way too much work for something we didn't absolutely love.

Photos by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment